India firecracker factory blast kills 19


NEW DELHI: 

A blast at a cracker factory in India has killed at least 19 person and injured dozens, officials said on Saturday.


 The blast in Virudhunagar district on Friday afternoon was one of the worst in years in the southern state of Tamil Nadu.

 

Local official R. Kannan told agency that the death toll would rise in the next few hours.


"So far, 34 people have been injured and are being treated. Some of them have been seriously burnt, ”he said.


Kannan said there were about 74 people at the factory at the time of the incident. According to media reports, the factory was operating illegally. The news portal The Newsminet said the owner was missing and police were still investigating the cause of the incident.


Prime Minister Narendra Modi announced compensation of Rs 200,000 ($ 2,070) to the family of the deceased.

Post a Comment

Please! Do not enter/paste any spam link here.

Previous Post Next Post